* Download the SharePoint Online Standard Service Description (27-page pdf) *
SharePoint Online – Standard is a Microsoft Online Services offering designed for rapid service adoption by an organization. It includes a standardized Web-based administrative console that enables you to easily manage and set up services for users.
Why SharePoint Online?
Many companies today face significant information management and sharing challenges. For example, workers today need to be able to perform these tasks:
- Share a common workspace with team members, to store documents and collaborate on projects.
- Publish, store, and view data—often from disparate sources.
- Quickly find information that is relevant to them, their job function, and their business area.
- Manage the flow of documents and tasks through a workflow system.
- Increase data security by controlling access, inside the corporate network as well as remotely.
SharePoint Online helps organizations meet these challenges by providing a flexible Web-based solution with tools and services to help employees manage information and collaborate with others.
In addition, SharePoint Online reduces the burden of routine IT management and frees your IT resources to work on strategic initiatives that move your business forward. You have access to the latest technologies without having to worry about updates or upgrades.
The tools and services provided by SharePoint Online enable individuals and teams to:
- Upload documents to online libraries, share the documents with others, and manage how documents are used.
- Display project calendars to track milestones and resource availability.
- Show announcements and alerts.
- Publish blogs and RSS feeds, or provide a list of links to other blogs, forums, and resources.
- Maintain a list of contact names and information.
- Create navigation for your SharePoint Online sites that best meets your organization’s needs.
- Provide links to other important Web sites.
- Create specialized Web sites—Document Workspaces and Meeting Workspaces—to help manage particular projects or work items.
Features of Microsoft Online Services
- System Requirements
- Sign In Application
- International Availability
- Language Support
Features of SharePoint Online
- Site Storage Quotas
- Site Collections
- Deskless Worker Offer
- Microsoft Office Integration
- Browser Support
- Mobile Device Support
- Service Availability
- Deleted Item Recovery
- Data Backup
- Service Continuity Management
- Virus Filtering
- Blocked File Types
- Site Language Selection
SharePoint Online Capabilities
- Standard Site Templates
- People and Groups Lists
- Email Alerts and Notifications
- Task Coordination
- Document Collaboration
- Issue Tracking
- RSS Feeds
- Audience Targeting
- Site Manager
- Integration with Microsoft Office Programs
- Integration with Outlook
- Integration with SharePoint Designer 2007
- Content Management
- Document Workflow Support
- Document Information Panel
- Document Action Bar
- High-Fidelity Web Sites with Consistent Branding
- Site Structure and Navigation Controls
- Content Authoring
- WYSIWYG Web Content Editor
- Page Layouts
- Slide Libraries
- Retention and Auditing Policies
- Business Process and Forms
- Custom Workflow Design with Office SharePoint Designer 2007
- Office InfoPath Forms with Office InfoPath
Service Administration Center
Appendix A: Default Blocked File Name Extensions
Appendix B: SharePoint Online and Office SharePoint Server Feature Comparisons
Appendix C: SharePoint Online Specific Features